Mudders, after a full year of social distancing, lockdowns and bad news after bad news, we’re finally on the up and up. In England gyms open, Tough Mudder is on the horizon and most importantly we can now eat and drink at pubs and restaurants with outside space. The parks are filled with boozy reunions, it’s almost impossible to book a table and with inside drinking and dining returning next month, well we’re pretty sure summer 2021 is going to be one to remember (or not…).
If you’ve used the last year to get fit or you’re training for Tough Mudder then you might be wondering how exercising and your rediscovered social life can coexist. It is possible. Check out these handy tips for exercising before and after a big night, to keep you safe.
How to Prepare for a Big Night Ahead
Is there anything better than looking forward to an upcoming night out? We don’t think so. But if between choosing your outfit and fixing your hair you want to squeeze in a workout then keep these three things in mind:
- Keep your workout low-key and indoors to reduce how much you sweat.
- Drink water throughout the day, maybe even a bit more than you normally do.
- Focus your workout on stretching, foam rolling and light exercise that doesn’t stress the body.
Things to Avoid After a Night of Fun
Most people won’t get much further than the sofa the morning after the night before (and you’re probably better off giving your body a break). But if you’re a dedicated Mudder who just can’t sit still then keep it safe and sensible with these five no-nos:
- Balance movements like single leg deadlifts, single arm rows or lunges.
- Heavy-weighted movements (stay away from the weights section okay?).
- Movements that take you up and down (…Burpees *cough cough*).
- Coordination movements like skipping or high knees.
- Anything that will cause you to sweat a lot.
Let’s Be Honest…
If you’re gifting yourself a proper night out, it’s going to be a doozy after the year we just had. But as Oscar Wilde once said, “Everything in moderation, including moderation.”
Stay safe, make good choices, and most importantly, for every alcoholic beverage you consume, follow it up with a glass of water.
Want a celebration of epic proportions? Sign up for Tough Mudder and see how far you can push your limits.